Today we went to the Ghana National Museum. It was pretty interesting. We saw old school bark cloth, and kente weaving. They also had a bunch of old stools. The guide explained that the stools are in three parts. A base, an emblem section, and then the seat. The stool is then named after the emblem section, so the one the guide held up was a spider stool. The guide then explained that when a new chief came to power in the south it is called enstoolment (they use stools like thrones), and a special stools is made as the throne. In the north, it is called enskinment, and they get skins (I’m pretty sure..). Downtown Accra was not quite what I was expecting. They really did not have a ton of huge buildings or anything (at least that I saw). But there were a ton of people everywhere. We went to a cool market there and looked at fabric- I still can’t find any I like. Its cool stuff, I’m just really picky. The markets are crazy though, they just seem so chaotic and unorganized, though I suppose woodfield is as well. Just in different ways. I ate pretty well today. Got some peanut butter (ground nut paste) and bread for breakfast and dinner along with mangos. Then jollif rice for lunch. We went to an art center after lunch in downtown Accra. It was cool, but people are just so insistent. And I am on such a defensive- just because thats how I am, even in the states. I just have an instant distrust of people and shell up until I know they are ok. Our days have been so busy since we got here I really haven’t had time to just relax, recover, or think of home- which is good and bad. But I think we found a super cheap way to talk with people from home, which will be nice to talk with Mom, etc. Tomorrow we are going to the Akrofi-Christaller Institute. It should be interesting. It is the first ‘excursion’ and really begins our semester. I think we are playing some get to know you games, which will be good, because I honestly do not really know much about the others, other than Rachel. It still is weird to be here- just does not seem real. It is also weird to think about school here. It just seems like a trip- not a school semester. It is also interesting being in the Calvin program, because they do a lot for us. For example, we are pre-registered. So we do not have to wait in huge lines or set up our courses with different departments. It is all done for us (because we are with the Institute of African Studies). So there are good things and bad things to it. I think that the overall experience will be better, because there are a lot of things we will get to see and do that others won’t. But.. classes will be just us. We’ll see how it goes. I definitely miss the people back home.
